Events wishing to obtain a new Cannabis Consumption Special Event license must follow these steps.
Be sure to read and understand the concepts outlined in Chapter 6 of the Denver Revised Municipal Code, the Rules and Regulations Governing Marijuana Designated Consumption Areas, the Signage Guidelines, and the Marijuana Facility Location Guide before applying.
1. Application Submission - Submit a completed Cannabis Consumption Special Event Application along with all supporting documents and fees to Denver Excise and Licenses. Applications must be submitted at least 120 days before the first proposed event.
2. Initial Posting - Upon receipt of a complete application, the applicant will be required to post notice of the event for 30 days. It is during that time that parties of interest may request a hearing to be held. Denver Excise and Licenses will inspect the posting signage several times to ensure adequacy.
3. Application Review - Excise and Licenses and the Office of Special Events will review the application and all supplemental documents. It is the goal to have reviews completed within 30 days of receipt of a complete application.
4. Event Plan Reviews - During the application review process, and based upon the proposed event details, it will be determined which agencies will need to review and approve the event plan. For example, if the event intends to have large electric generators on-site, both the Denver Fire Department and the Electrical Division of Community Planning and Development will need to review and approve the event plan. Each applicant will receive a communication detailing the agencies that they must obtain plan review approvals from at this point in the process. All approvals must be obtained before a permit will be issued, yet the applicant may continue working through their hearing requirements detailed below while they work on their plan review requirements.
5. Public Hearing - If Excise and Licenses receives a request for a hearing for the proposed event, a public hearing may be scheduled and all parties of interest will be notified.
6. License Issuance - Once the applicant has received plan approvals from all indicated City agencies and has received an approved Final Decision from the Department a license will be granted for the special event.
Please Note – all applications will be administratively closed if not completed within 12 months.